The Kirby Moor site is situated in Brampton, Cumbria. Here the focus is educating pupils who need the approach of a secondary school including specialist teaching areas and specialist subject teachers. This approach is carefully mirrored while keeping class groups to no more than 6 pupils in a group. We aim to help children to be ready to engage with learning, to manage their emotional responses in more socially acceptable ways and to express themselves with increasing emotional literacy and confidence.
Kirby Moor site also has a Nurture Unit on site which offers pupils learning and growth within a holistic, nurturing environment. Practical, hands-on activities are underpinned by the National Curriculum and supported by individual programmes and planning.
By offering this mirrored approach we aspire to ready our pupils for transition back to mainstream schools or post 16 provision.
We are very proud of our track record of successful transition and our recent accreditation results including at GCSE and Cambridge National level
The pupils at Kirby main site have often had difficulties in accessing learning at mainstream schools. :
- Special Educational needs which present as Behaviour which can challenge.
- Attention and concentration difficulties
- Attachment Disorders and Anxiety related difficulties
- Young people deemed hard to engage due to mental/emotional health needs including ‘school phobia’
We have a comprehensive assessment and tracking system which ensures pupils are taught at a level which leads them to rapid academic progress while also developing their social and emotional regulation skills.
Our facilities include:
- 6 large classroom bases
- Science Lab
- Art and Design Workshop
- Small group areas
- Quiet spaces around the school
- Garden area
- Recreational areas indoor and out including a playing field and yard
- Outdoor undercover learning space
- Dining room where all pupils and staff eat together
- Pastoral team and support services
- Access to our qualified nurse