Herdley Bank Centre is a specialist annex to Kirby Moor School situated in Coanwood, Northumberland. Here the focus is educating pupils with social, emotional and learning difficulties.
The pupils at Herdley Bank need support to develop their Emotional Literacy. Here our more vulnerable pupils can excel we tailor the education and the learning environment to meet their specific needs. Staff have expertise in working with children with more complex needs and those with a combination of difficulties:
- Autistic Spectrum Condition: Children displaying signs or traits of autism (with or without diagnosis).
- Asperger’s or high functioning autism
- Attention and concentration difficulties
- Attachment Disorders and Anxiety related difficulties
- Young people deemed hard to engage due to mental/emotional health needs including ‘school phobia’
“Teachers are eager to further develop their subject-specialist knowledge and skills. They are well equipped to deal with pupils who have SEN and/or disabilities. However, with the increasing focus on more academic pathways for pupils and the rise in the number of younger pupils joining the school, teachers recognise the need to keep up to date with subject-specific developments.” – Ofsted OUTSTANDING December 2017
The Herdley Bank Centre offers pupils learning and growth within a holistic, nurturing environment. Practical, hands-on activities are underpinned by the National Curriculum and supported by individual programmes and planning. We have a comprehensive assessment and tracking system which ensures pupils are taught at a level which leads them to thrive.
We believe that education is about developing the whole person, meeting the physical, emotional, spiritual and social, as well as academic learning needs. We are committed to making a positive impact on young people’s lives and helping them to become the person they want to be. Planning engaging activities helps our pupils develop knowledge and skills, resulting in more self-confident pupils ready for more independent futures.
The location promotes a calming environment. The facilities and teaching lead pupils to make outstanding progress. Individual carefully planned robust transition programmes are in place to help to support our pupils when they are ready for the next stage of their education. This can be into Kirby Moor School, mainstream school or college.
Our facilities include:
- 3 large classroom bases
- Quiet spaces around the school
- Garden area and local countryside bike and walking paths
- Recreational areas indoor and out including a playing field and yard
- Outdoor undercover learning space
- Assembly Room/ dining room where all pupils and staff eat together
- Student welfare and support services
- Access to our qualified nurse